Sunday, February 28, 2010

Queens of Tease show

On Friday I attended a fabulous Queens of Tease burlesque show, starring The Tease Queens, Kitten DeVille (USA) and Miss Anne Thropy (France). It was definitely one of the most fun burlesque events I've ever been to and that is saying quite a lot, considering I've seen quite a bunch of shows in my time, hee. The house was jam-packed and the crowd was insane - it was more like being at a rock show than at a burlesque event at times! The performers were top notch and I loved all of the numbers. My favorite was probably Miss Anne Thropy's "Somewhere under the sea". A gal who dances to "Under the Sea" from The Little Mermaid is definitely after my own heart! I have to say that I'm really proud of Finnish burlesque acts because they combine sexy and fun and make an effort to tell an actual story. Dita Von Teese, take note! ;)



Dress - 1940s vintage, Lane Bryant (via Etsy)
Handbag - 1950s vintage, Morris Moskowitz (via Etsy)
Gloves - 1950s vintage (via Etsy)
Shoes - 1950s vintage (via Huuto.net)


I was very nervous about wearing one of my favorite dresses to the event, considering that it is vintage and drunken Finns are not the most considerate of people... Thankfully the dress is still in one piece, although looking back on it I really should have been smarter and not have taken the risk. Oh well, you live and you learn!

Attending the show made me wonder what the burlesque scene is like in London. It has been really wonderful to attend burlesque shows monthly during my stay in Finland. I hope the scene is as active and fun in England. It has been a treat to be able to dress up and attend these type of events on a regular basis and I hope to continue doing so in the future.

10 comments:

  1. that's a really chic dress! The mermaid burlesque act sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hair looks gorgeous! Love the dress, too!

    Sounds like it was a fun show :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look lovely, and don't worry there is plenty of burlesque going on in London, almost too much, you have to be a bit picky about what you see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jitterbugdoll - Thank you! Means a lot, especially coming from you. :)

    Little Miss B - Thank you! Can't wait to see what the London burlesque & vintage scenes are like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so would have loved to seen the Little Mermaid act! And while I know you were worried about the dress, glad nothing happened. Besides whats the point in buying such lovely dresses if you can't wear and showcase them and dress up at events like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mycah - Wish you could've been there!

    That's a good point about the dress but I'd just feel so horrible if something happened to it. Like it had stayed in near perfect condition for 70 years - until I came along, lol! But thankfully nothing happened. :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis