Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Film costumes: Cracks (2009)



I finally had the chance to see Jordan Scott's Cracks (2009), a film that I had been eagerly awaiting since I first saw photos of Eva Green on the set of the film, wearing those stunning 1930s looks. Here's the synopsis for the film, for those of you who have not seen it:

Cracks stars Eva Green as the mesmerizing Miss G, a liberating force in a staid but idyllic British boarding school. The story follows a clique of six girls whose dynamic is thrown off kilter by the arrival of a beautiful new Spanish student Fiamma. The hazy summer days by the lake provide the perfect setting for Fiamma's wild and intriguing tales of her travels in India with her father. Miss G is captivated but it's not long before ripples appear on the surface and the cracks beneath emerge in the relationship between teacher and pupil.


I had high expectations for the film and it certainly did not disappoint. Firstly, the costumes by Alison Byrne are truly jaw-dropping; it has been quite a while since I've seen such amazing period styling in a contemporary film! If like me you've fallen in love with the costumes by Byrne, I suggest you check out this interesting interview with her for more insight into the costumes of Cracks. I also loved the details of the sets and the gorgeous filming locations, which made me reminisce Scotland, my home of four years. I also thought the storyline and especially the dynamics between the characters were very intriguing and the film has such a fresh take on a story set in the 30s. Lastly, the performances by Eva Green and Juno Temple especially are very compelling - the performances alone make me wonder why the film never received proper release! I urge you to seek out Cracks! It is definitely worth a look, especially if you appreciate 1930s style.

I'll leave you with a picspammy of my favorite outfits worn by Eva Green's character Miss G. I'd like one of each ensemble, please! Also, I'll have to apologize for the low quality of these images, which don't really do the film justice... But hopefully you'll still get something out of them.



















Lastly, here's a better look at my very favorite Miss G number. You can really see all of the amazing details in the high quality photo. I think this look is pure perfection! Have a look at the 1930s manicure too!

5 comments:

  1. What a fabulous wardrobe--sounds like a must-see film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh! I've only seen pictures of the movie, but I really need to watch it. The storyline sounds really intriguing and the costumes are ever so wonderful. I'm especially loving the boyish combination on the second picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm even MORE excited to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, ladies! I'm sure you'd all LOVE the movie and especially those killer costumes. Hopefully you'll be able to find it. I believe it is only available on DVD in the UK at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis