Saturday, May 1, 2010

A Happy Vappu!

Happy May Day, everybody! May Day - or Vappu, as we call it - brings forth plenty of celebrations here in Finland. My day was spent among good friends. Here's what we did today ~


Unfortunately it rained and the weather was nasty and cold so plans of an outdoors picnic sadly had to be scrapped.


We met up with some friends and drove to Pyynikin näkötorni, a deco tower circa 1929 that stands on top of Pyynikki, between two lakes. It is a really gorgeous spot and the views are absolutely stunning!


Munkkia ja simaa! We enjoyed some traditional Vappu treats at the cafe. People say the donuts are the best in Tampere. Yum!


Headed to our friends' place for an indoors picnic. Fresh, home-made buns and donuts! Double yummy!


A May Day feast with lentil salad, tea, mead, chips and tippaleipä.


Playtime with the very adorable cat.


I wore one of my favorite vintage hats. It is from the 1950s and I got it via Etsy.


Another Etsy find, a wrap dress from the 1940s... I just adore this dress! And some crazy balloons, of course!




Hope you all had a nice May Day and hopefully much nicer weather than we did.

14 comments:

  1. I'm missing this day already :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know May Day was celebrated in Finland, it's nice to learn new things :)
    Also, now I want donuts...
    Thanks for the post, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Vappu to you! Your dress is gorgeous, and i really want a hat like that! You had such a fun day, mine was spent working :(
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun, and this dress/look is soo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our cat is famous now!:)Can you send me couple of those cat pictures?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Minna - Aww, me too!

    Cheri Pinktrix - May Day is one of the biggest celebrations in the country. Actually, Finns have quite a bunch of big celebrations throughout the year that many other countries don't, such as Midsummer day.

    Stefanie Valentine - Thank you! I do love the dress and the hat. Sorry to hear that your May Day was spent morning.

    Mycah - Thanks, we did indeed. :)

    Maria - Of course! There's quite a few good shots of Ellu, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That wrap dress in pure perfection! I've been dreaming about something just like that for ages. It looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Piia - Thank you!! I love, love, love the dress. I hope you'll be able to find something similar some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your dress. It looks amazing. So does the food. Mmmm.
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just adore that wrap dress—the colors are so pretty on you! It looks like you had a very fun day despite the rain :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ihana hattu!! Ja sä olet yksi kullanmurunen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like that dress! It's quite similar to my day dress project as you mentioned... Those colors are just perfect for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andi B. Goode - Thank you! :)

    Jitterbugdoll - Thanks! Gotta love wrap dresses, they're so comfy and cute. I adored the red swirl dress you posted in your blog recently.

    Fiona Timantti - Kiitos! :)

    Una - Thank you! It really is quite similar to your dress.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis