Friday, May 21, 2010

My Land Girl coat!

Mimosa at Fintage recommended a shop called US Eagle (in Tampere, Finland) for rare vintage finds. It is basically an army / survival type of store but there's also rare vintage army stock to be found. I went there to have a look-see and came across some mid-1940s Women's Land Army coats that appear to be unused. And the cost of a deadstock Land Girl coat? 4€ ($5). Quite a find, huh? I ended up getting two coats; I bought one cirva 1944 for myself yesterday and then went back today to buy another one dating back to 1945 for Fiona Timantti. The two coats are basically identical even though they were made a year apart. They're the same color and size and both come with a belt.

Now, these are not the most glamorous coats of all time but I think they're really special. It is not often that you come across authentic women's WWII era army pieces - and in deadstock quality, nonetheless! I'm not gonna lie to you, I was giddy with joy to find these!

The Women's Land Army (WLA) was a British civilian organisation created during the First and Second World Wars to work in agriculture replacing men called up to the military. Women who worked for the WLA were commonly known as Land Girls. (via Wikipedia)









Many thanks to BaronessVonVintage for the last photo!

10 comments:

  1. My advice would be to buy the rest of the stock and sell them for a good price! I think they are lost gems xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Matilda!!! What a special find!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, here's a link to a picture showing Land Girls wearing the coat during WWII.

    http://www.1940.co.uk/history/books/wla/group.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baroness - OMG, thank you! Such an awesome find!

    You ladies are right, I probably should go back and buy the stock. I'm just worried it wouldn't sell and I'm moving countries in a couple of months. Would either of you be interested in getting a Land Girl coat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, now that is too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! They are indeed good looking. Do I remember wrong, but did someone (you?) say on Fintage that they only have them in large?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ina - Yes, the coats are only available in size large.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nyyh, that's a pity... Guess I have to live without one...

    ReplyDelete
  9. if anyone comes across a pair of landarmy breeches i would love a pair around size 12 which is well i suppose a 8/10 back then.
    get in contact as im in diar need.

    volcanopie@hotmail.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis