Sunday, May 16, 2010

Night at the Museums

Summer has suddenly graced us Finns with its presence. The temperatures have been over 25c these past few days, which is a massive leap considering that it was still less than 10c just last week! This past week the leaves have broken out in the trees and the grass is green, which means that I'm a very happy girl! I really can't get enough of summer - but sadly summers are very short in this country. So I'm making most of this weather by going to the beach every day. I've been having picnics with friends and just reading and enjoying lazy days by a lake nearby.

Last night was "The Night of the Museums", which meant that you could visit most of the major museums around Tampere for one flat fee. The gf and I went to three different museums. Our first stop was the Tampere Art Museum, which is currently showcasing an exhibition of photos by Anni Leppälä, the Young Artist of the Year 2010. Do check out some of her work via the link (scroll down), her aesthetic is quite beautiful indeed and includes many nostalgic elements, from old objects and buildings to vintage clothing. Next up was the Emil Aaltonen Museum at Pyynikinlinna, a stunning deco building that was once the home of Emil Aaltonen and now a public museum that exhibits his large collection of art. Emil Aaltonen (1869-1949) was the undisputed king of Finnish shoe design so there was plenty to see for not only art lovers but also for those of us interested in costume history. Lastly, we visited the stunning Häme Museum at Näsinpuisto, a park that I've somehow never been to before. The building is Baroque revival style and is now open to the public for the first time since 1998. We also got to ride a 1950s bus between each museum stop, which was pretty exciting! I'm pleased to say that I saw a couple of other girls wearing vintage dresses too, which made me smile.

I wore a lovely 1940s dress with beaded trim on shoulders and hip pockets. I bought this number from one of my favorite eBay sellers, floozeesvintage. The blue handbag is the one I bought from Tampere Vintage and snood is from Arthelia's Attic. I love the snood with the bow decoration so much that I seriously wish I had these in every single color - so I could wear them on a daily basis! :P

Dress - 1940s vintage (via Ebay)
Handbag - 1950s vintage (via Tampere Vintage)
Shoes - Modern but I can't remember where from!
Stockings - What Katie Did
Hair snood - Arthelia's Attic
Earrings - Amethyst earrings I bought from Venice in 2006
Sunnies - Monsoon


Outside of Tampere Art Museum



Our 1950s vintage ride



Riding the bus, check out the vintage hats and handbags above us - such a cute detail!


At the Emil Aaltonen Museum



Outside of Vapriikki, a museum centre that is housed in what used to be an old engineering worksite


Looking down on the Särkänniemi amusement park and lake Näsijärvi from Näsinpuisto


The beautiful Häme Museum building

7 comments:

  1. Love the outfit! That bus is very cool, I wish we had something like that here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the outfit, the museum, the bus...everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The outfit is gorgeous, LOVE this dress, love the hair too!

    Btw You look AMAZING! You can REALLY see how much weight you've lost, wow! Even Summer made the comment you've lost a lot of weight. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that looks like fun! And I love your dress. Gorgeous!
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that dress--you look fabulous, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the wonderful comments, ladies! ♥

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis