Friday, June 4, 2010

My dream coat

I was re-watching one of my all time favorite movies, Peter Jackson's Heavenly Creatures (1994), the other day, which reminded me of just how much I've always loved the coat that Kate Winslet's character Juliet Hulme wears at the end of the movie. Since I've promised myself to get a winter coat that I truly love to take with me to London this fall, I've been eyeing a couple of coats on Ebay - but I haven't found anything that I loved. I decided to not settle but instead custom order a replica of Juliet's coat as it really has been my dream winter coat since I first saw the film well over a decade ago, heh.

However, I don't really know how to go about ordering a vintage inspired custom coat. Does anyone have any helpful tips on this matter? I'm definitely not experienced enough to make it myself but I'm not really able to pay hundreds and hundreds for one either.

Any help would be much appreciated. :)





4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie in ages. I need to re-watch it. There are a couple of gals on etsy who make custom orders but they are very expensive. I'm getting a skirt made by nudeedudee on etsy.
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I haven't watched this one in a while either! That is a fabulous coat, maybe you could put up an Alchemy request on Etsy? I don't really have any other ideas, sorry! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ladies definitely need to rewatch Heavenly Creatures. It gets better and better with each view for me. Thanks for the Etsy tips as well, I'll look into them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually had a very thick jacket which was very similar to this once. You would need a pattern and a visit to a jumble sale to find some old thick fabric. If I find some place where you can get an old pattern I'll let you know. Meantime, I need to contact you about something, can you leave me your email address by contacting me through my blog please? Love & all best wishes

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis