Monday, October 18, 2010

Pandora's Box at London Film Festival

"A well dressed woman, even though her purse is painfully empty, can conquer the world." - Louise Brooks

The 54th BFI London Film Festival kicked off last week. Despite being a big film festival geek, I've somehow never been able to attend LFF in the past. Unfortunately, many of the films that I wanted to check out sold out very fast but I did manage to score a couple of tickets. The first one being a screening of Pandora's Box (1929) by Georg Wilhelm Pabst, starring the iconic Louise Brooks, which I attended together with Kendra and Katie. I had actually never seen the film before nor seen anything by Louise Brooks in general. It was quite a treat to be able to see the newly restored version of the classic piece of cinema on the big screen. I've only seen one classic movie in cinema in the past, a screening of Nosferatu, which is one of my all time favorite movies. To our surprise, Pandora's Box was actually accompanied by a live pianist, which was a truly fabulous surprise and made the event all the more special. I absolutely loved Pandora's Box and especially the tour-de-force performance by Louise Brooks! It really is no wonder that she is one of the most famous silent stars today; she is just so charismatic and so magnetic to watch. The next day I went to the university library and checked out her autobiography, Lulu in Hollywood, which I am currently reading. What a fascinating lady she was and still is, that Louise Brooks!





Many thanks to Kendra for the photos!

4 comments:

  1. I love that quote - it's so very true. Haven't been to your blog for a while. Mine has just turned one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FairyFiligree - Thank you for dropping by - and many congratulations on the anniversary of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous of this outing... I love early film, it's fascinating. Did they show any Hepworth films? He's my favourite Early British Film maker (Especially love Chrissie White for silent film actresses)
    hope all's good in Riikka world
    G x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gemima - Thanks for the lovely comment! I, too, adore early film and the history of cinema. I'm afraid they didn't show any Hepworth films this time. The 'Treasures from the Archives' section isn't very large, there's only a handful of movies they show every year. Have a look here:

    http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff/films/treasures_from_the_archives

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis