Thursday, November 3, 2011

Being Black Dahlia

Happy belated All Hallows' Eve! I hope you all had a deliciously spooktastic extended weekend.

I'm happy to report that I finally had my Halloween dream come true this year.

Mind you, it is not really that big of a deal in Finland and I've just never gotten around to dressing up, proper costume style, for Halloween before. Many of my friends were on the same boat as me so we decided to put some effort into it this year. At first I wanted to do something entirely different from my everyday self (i.e. not wear vintage) but I just couldn't get the idea of going as the Black Dahlia out of my head. I suppose because I've been fascinated by the Elizabeth Short case for years. I'm just a little morbid like that.

I had the perfect 1940s dress in my closet just waiting to be taken out! It is a sheer black crepe number with a bow on bodice and flaps at front of skirt, which make it the perfect dress for dancing. I bought it from TwilaJeanVintage via Etsy in 2009. Love the dress but I wear it very rarely, simply because I don't feel at home in black. But for this occasion it was truly perfect. A black wig, black dahlia hair flower, black stockings, and black 40s pumps completed the look. And, of course, the scars.

I've never done special fx make-up before so I practised for a couple of days and, in the end, I'm fairly happy with how it turned out on the day itself. I used Grimas scar wax as a base for the scars and filled them with face paint and fake blood. And, miraculously, the scars stayed on my face all night.

A vampire, a zombie sailor and Twilight's Jacob Black rounded up our posse as we spent the night parading and dancing around London Town. It was a super fun evening and I can't wait to do it again next year!




6 comments:

  1. Looking great! I dressed up for the first time in my life this year, I was a zombie-drug Marilyn. Splashing fake blood all over was kind of nice, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anniina - I would LOVE to see your costume! Please post some pics. I have to agree, there's something strangely liberating about splashing fake blood all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riikka, your costume looks absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome costume! Very impressive :) Did the topless guy not get cold?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kailey - Many thanks! :)

    TheBlackPinafore - Thank you!

    Kati - Thanks a lot! Hee, thankfully it wasn't very cold in London that night but he did have a sweater to wear outside of the clubs.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis