Thursday, January 5, 2012

The year that was 2011


Photo by Kendra Bean

I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and reminisce on the year that was. Whereas 2010 was a year of massive highs and massive lows for me, I believe that 2011 has quite possibly been the most amazing year of my life thus far. In 2011 I found myself fully settling in and embracing life in London. I moved houses a few months ago and came across a list of goals that I had written for myself when I moved in here in September 2010. I couldn't but smile to myself when I realised that I had fully accomplished all of those goals, if not overdone them.

Here are just a few of the highlights of my incredible 2011.

Friends





Friends, both old and new, love them all. I have the most incredible friends a girl could ask for. So many amazing memories have been made, ones that I'll cherish forever.

London


You know how you know you're in the city you're supposed to be in? When each and every time you're in there, you can't help but think to yourself just how much you love it and how lucky you are to be there. That's how I feel about London.

University


Photo by Kendra Bean

I studied very hard, finished university and ended up graduating with distinction. I did a star study on Jean Harlow for my final thesis. I loved the whole process from research to writing, and ended up being even more fascinated by the actress as a result.

Music


Music made me happy 365 days of the year. I discovered a new favourite band, Austra (thanks to BaronessVonVintage!), and their music has dominated by playlist ever since. I went to gigs a plenty. I saw Austra, Arcade Fire and Warpaint each three times. My other gig highlights of the year include Wild Flag at the Lexington and Timber Timbre at Union Chapel.

Films


Whereas I only ended up seeing a handful of new films (highlights include Heartbeats, Weekend and The Artist), I saw quite a lot of old films on the big screen. I also went to many awesome events, such as the UK premiere of Almodóvar's The Skin I Live In under the stars at the Somerset House in July.

Traveling



Photo by Kendra Bean

Most of my international travelling has consisted of trekking between London and Finland. But thankfully I managed to explore the UK quite a bit, from Wales to England to Scotland and back.

Home


Last but not least... Sometimes, just sometimes Finland doesn't totally suck. ;)


Happy 2012, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Riikka Hello, how are you? so much that you do not write ....
    These photos are beautiful, and I liked how you have remembered the old year .... soon
    Debora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debora - Thank you for the comment! Oh I know, I've been so busy that I hardly had time to properly blog in 2011. But hopefully that'll change this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I couldn't but smile to myself when I realised that I had fully accomplished all of those goals, if not overdone them"
    Wow - this actually made me smile! I am so so happy you had such an incredible 2011 <3

    "I did a star study on Jean Harlow for my final thesis"
    That sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kailey - Thank you for the lovely comment! It made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, you're so cute!! i really need to find a way to come visit you. but let's try to find a date to chat first, how's your schedule look? i have almost all january off (i'm between jobs you see). i'll be visiting my parents thursday-monday, but every other day, every other hour (just about) i'm all yours if you'll have me!
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stina - Aww, why of course I'll have you! Perhaps next week once you get back from your parents would be good? Drop me an email and we'll schedule a time that works for both. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been so much fun getting to know you and hanging out this past year! Hoorah for life in London! I hope many new adventures await in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kendra - Aww, you as well! We always have a blast. Hurrah for London and all of the adventures that await!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis