Friday, April 6, 2012

The Marilyn exhibition at the Getty Gallery

The Getty Images Gallery, located just off Oxford Street here in London, is currently hosting an exhibition titled Marilyn, which traces Marilyn Monroe's career from a starlet to a superstar in images, memorabilia and screen costumes. The exhibit is not very widely publicised, it appears, which is a pity; it is not only free but truly a treat for anyone interested in Marilyn Monroe.

I used to be a huge Marilyn fan when I was getting interested in classic cinema and vintage fashion. Although I admit that I'm not quite as enthusiastic these days as I used to be 10 years ago, I still find her a wonderful comedienne, a charismatic and incredibly photogenic actress and an all around fascinating figure. It was a real dream come true for me to get to see her costumes and memorabilia in person. Because of the larger than life legend surrounding Monroe and her image, one sometimes tends to forget that she, too, was a real, fresh and blood person. Seeing all of those costumes and memorabilia in person was a strong reminder of that and made me relate to her on a level previously foreign to me.

Getting to examine all of the stunning details of her legendary screen costumes made my cinephile heart very happy. The stand outs for me were the glorious "Two Little Girls from Little Rock" red sequin dress from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and the "I'm Through With Love" number from my personal favourite Marilyn film, Some Like It Hot, which Miia and I saw on the big screen just the day before.










The Marilyn exhibition is held until May 26, 2012 at the Getty Images Gallery on 46 Eastcastle Street. I wholeheartedly recommend it to absolutely anyone and everyone interested in Monroe and film costumes in general. I'm already itching to revisit myself. Go, go, go!

5 comments:

  1. Would love to see her costumes and preferably wear them! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow that looks like a stunning exhibition, I'm wondering if I can squeeze a visit in before it ends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These dresses are indeed wonderful & as you say almost mythical & the two of you really seem to be having a good time watching them...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, if only I'd know this was on when I was in London last Sunday! I think this definitely calls for another visit, those dresses look absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to see this! So many gorgeous costumes. Gah.
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis