Friday, August 10, 2012

Sipping tea in (1930s) style


I'm absolutely thrilled to present to you my latest collaboration with the lovely and ever talented Kim of Time Machine Vintage!

As you may remember, Kim made this 1930s sport tog set for me earlier this year, complete with a dress, a belt and a jacket, and it's been getting plenty of wear in my end this past spring and summer. However, considering that I tend to live in, ahem, weather challenged places, we also collaborated on something more suitable for chilly weather. Here in Helsinki you can already smell autumn in the air... Which, looking at the positive side of things, means that now is the perfect time to start planning those cute fall outfits!

This particular one is made from a mid-1930s pattern. The long sleeved tea dress is beautifully bias cut. We chose a hunter green peach skin faille fabric to perfectly compliment my red hair, and paired it with a red celluloid belt buckle from the 1920s. The dress comes with a fully lined red/green plaid jacket, which is adorned by a lovely button from the 1910s, saved by Kim from a coat that fell apart. I love that she masterfully created this stunning outfit from a vintage pattern, whilst combining materials both old and new. My look is completed by a green 30s hat, black 40s pumps and a handbag. I feel like this number is perfect for catching up with girlfriends, perhaps over a cup of tea or a glass of champaign - which I actually happened to do yesterday. In front of the camera. Stay tuned for the Fintage calendar for the results!

You know how sometimes us vintage lovin' folks say that modern clothing simply isn't as well made as vintage pieces tend to be? In many cases this stands true. However, my outfits from Time Machine Vintage are such good quality that I can easily imagine passing down these gorgeous pieces one day for another girl live their vintage dream in.

As you may be able to tell, I'm completely in love with my outfit! Thank you ever so much, Kim!

And special thank you goes out to my lovely friend Jirina Alanko for the beautiful photographs!







Dress & jacket - 1930s reproductions, custom made by Time Machine Vintage
Hat - 1930s vintage, a gift from Kim
Shoes - 1940s vintage (via Tampere Vintage)
Handbag - Borrowed from Jirina

15 comments:

  1. I just love everything about that dress! The pattern, the fabric itself, colour, details. It is perfect and suits you so well in every way. Talented seamstresses are more valuable than gold so complements to Kim aswell :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. STUNNING! I love the jacket with it, too! Wannnnt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I just adore this look on you. How smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhia - Thank you for the most lovely comment! I completely agree that gifted seamstresses (like yourself!) are more valuable than gold, especially in days like these.

    Fiona Timantti - Right back at you!

    Elina - It is a perfect little number, isn't it!

    BaronessVonVintage - No greater compliment than to hear that you like it, Jill.

    Julie - Thanks so much for stopping by, gorgeous lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are just gorgeous!!! Red and green is a MUST. I hope to be able to meet all fintage members one day perhaps when we will visit our friends Sylvie and Jouni....

    http://lostin1950.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aahh how beautiful! That dress looks so so incredible on you, and the color combination is to die for *_*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Love Love your outfit
    Isabella xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos, the colours are beautiful, definitely makes me miss autumn already :D Really love that hat too!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. This outfit is just stunning!! Love the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look absolutely stunning--the style is fabulous and the shade of green is simply breathtaking with your red hair. And that plaid coat--oh!

    I recently collaborated with Time Machine Vintage as well, and will be posting photos of the outfit she made me soon. She really does a fabulous job and is lovely to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look brilliant as ever! And the photography on your blog is beautiful. We are heading to London in December! Perhaps we could call upon your awesomeness for some tips regarding places to visit, and we would love to meet you and have drinks if you'll be around!
    Tim and Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, thank you for all of the lovely comments! I really & truly appreciate all of your kind words!

    Laurence - Thank you! You should definitely come to one of our Fintage events or picnics next time you visit Sylvie and Jouni in Finland. I like to think we're a friendly bunch! :)

    Kailey - Thank you! The colour combination is, hands down, one of my very favourites.

    Isabella - Thank you!

    Caroline Ergy Erg - Thank you! The outfit really is perfect for fall, isn't it? It makes autumn feel not so bad for a person who isn't really fan of the season, heh. Glad you noticed the 30s hat, I love it too.

    Romance Dame - Many thanks!

    Jitterbugdoll - Thanks for the wonderful comment! I can't WAIT to see your Time Machine Vintage outfit! Kim really is a dream to work with.

    Tim and Jesse - Thanks so much, I'm glad you guys loved the photography - my friend Jirina is such a talented photographer! You can definitely count on me for London tidbits and I'd love to have drinks with you two if I'm in town when you come over. Just send me an email and we'll talk more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm really inspired together with your writing talents and also with the format to your weblog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself? Anyway stay up the excellent high quality writing, it's uncommon
    to peеr а nіcе blog lіκe thіs one these
    days..

    Fеel free to surf to my weblog: Americas Cardroom Poker Promotions

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis