Wednesday, November 7, 2012

October via Instagram

I thought I'd jump on the bandwagon and show you what I was up to in October, via my Instagram feed.

I stole my girlfriend's blouse and
felt like a secretary from the 40s.

I spent many hours researching this beautiful lady.
Her name is Lia Lae and she was a Finnish actress during the
silent film era. This portrait, which dates to 1927,  is from an
exhibition held at the National Audiovisual Archive.

I had a pretty adventurous Saturday. On the morning I dumpster
dived tens of vintage hats from various eras, 1930s and onwards.
I have since cleaned, repaired and passed on about half of them to
my friends. I kept two 40s hats for myself.

... And then I glammed up and went to a
burlesque gala on the same evening. Here's Jirina
looking mighty dapper in Lassi's top hat.

I wore a lot of plaids and a lot of greens.
Oh, and my Miss L Fire Havanas, of course.


I saw John Waters' This Filthy World - Filthier and More Horrible
and got my DVD copy of Female Trouble signed! Eeee!
I consider John Waters to be like my spiritual father.

I experimented with finger waving after a long break...

... And filmed a video all about it
with my partner-in-crime, Jirina.

Fall came...

... And went. 

I had an awesome David Lynch themed Halloween party.
Pictured is Audrey Horne times two.

I planned a vintage fashion show with
Jirina and Elina. Here we are working on the script
with one of our models, Oona.

7am on a Sunday morning. Me, Elina, Jirina and
boxes full of vintage on our way to Helsinki Vintage,
where our show bowed.

Post-show celebratory cocktails with the ladies!

I bought really pretty 30s shoes
from VintagEija's at Helsinki Vintage.

And here's something that I didn't buy.

As always, don't forget that you can follow my shenanigans on Instagram under the username of gingernaps.

Are you on Instagram? Don't forget to comment with your username so I can follow you back!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures – I'm a big fan of your posts...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Jannie! It means a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. How utterly awesome that you were able to salvage those hats from a dumpster. I would gleefully jump into any around these parts, if I though they held even the slightest chance of housing vintage treasures, too.

    Lovely, gorgeous fashion and inspiration filled photos one and all, dear Riikka.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always more than happy to dive into a dumpster if it means saving a little piece of history. ;)

      Thanks for your lovely comment, as always, Jessica!

      Delete
  3. Love these! It seems like you had a wonderful October :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really did have a lovely month.

      Delete
  4. Lovely! Looks like an action-packed month. The finger waves are gorgeous on you. I too love John Waters. We went to see his one man show last winter and it was fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lady! Action-packed it was. John Waters is the bestest, isn't he? His show was absolutely hilarious - I don't think I've laughed that much in a while.

      Delete

ShareThis