Tuesday, December 11, 2012

How to maintain red hair


The large majority of the inquiries that I get stem from my red hair. Red is certainly one of the hottest colours - but also one of the hardest to maintain.

Here are my tips on how to keep your dyed fiery strands looking radiant longer!

When you first go red, I would warmly recommend having a professional do it. I only dyed my hair professionally for the first few years and used a semi-permanent colour to keep my colour fresh in-between the dyes.
 After dying your hair, do not wash it for at least two days.

Avoid daily washing of hair in general - I tend to wash mine every two or three days. If your hair gets oily quickly, use a dry shampoo instead. Note that it might take a bit of training to go several days without washing if you're used to daily hair cleansing - but it is definitely worth it.

  Don't use harsh shampoos. You'll probably spend quite a bit of money on your hair colour, which means that you should also invest in a good shampoo specially designed for colour treated hair.

 Some use shampoo and conditioner for red hair. However, the only one that I've found to actually make a difference is KC Professional Color Mask in Pepper. Regardless, I use it quite rarely these days.

  Wear hats, scarves or UV protection on your hair in the sun during summer to prevent fading. 
Dye your hair often. Unfortunately you just can't get around this if you want to constantly maintain a truly vibrant red. I dye my hair every three to four weeks. You can use a semi-permanent colour instead of always using a permanent dye. Wella Color Touch is a good one and has some nice reds. 

I would like to add that whilst the colour red has an almost infamously bad reputation in fading very fast, in my experience the first six or so months are by far the trickiest. It takes quite a few dyes for the colour to really set properly and for a fresh fake redhead to learn the tools of the trade in maintaining the shade. After that, it really does get easier - and it is most definitely worth it, if you ask me!

How do you keep your colour fresh? If you have any additional tips to share, I would love to hear them!


18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I've just gone red 1½ months ago and I have been using KC Professional's Mandarin almost with every wash, otherwise the colour looks very faded. Can't wait till my hair appointment in a week, ugh.. I do love your hair colour, very similar to mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of help! When I first went red, the colour would fade very fast so I would use Color Mask often. But after dying it so long and so many times, the red definitely lasts longer and I just don't need the conditioner as much as before. So fear not - the colour will stay better after some time!

      Delete
  2. Kiitoksia tästä postauksesta! Olen nyt puolen vuoden aikana värjännyt kolme kertaa hiukseni punaiseksi (sinun hiusvärin sävy on hyvin kaunis!), se kun tuppaa haalistumaan minulta hetkessä. Täytyy kokeilla tuota color maskia! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outoa, mutta totta, väri tosiaan pysyy haalistumatta sitä paremmin, mitä enemmän hiuksia värjää. Eli jatka samaan malliin Color Maskin avulla ja kyllä se siitä! :)

      Delete
  3. All great tips, I also ( because I have naturally oily hair) upped the amount of sets I did as the setting lotion dried out my hair and helped hold the colour better. If it wasnt set I used the setting lotion instead of hairspray to put on my rolls etc....didnt hurt to have a lil extra.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! This is a great tip that I didn't even realise before. Setting lotion does dry the hair, which means you need less frequent hair cleansing and the colour holds better in the process. Thank you for sharing this one!

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking about changing my hair color, I love blond but my hair are becoming breakable... I used to be red head, more like a red blond, some years ago and it faded so fast with blond hair underneath.... Don't know what to do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I do love the blonde on you but I do imagine bleaching is very harsh on the hair, if that's what you need to do in order to maintain the colour. Perhaps you could try strawberry blonde or ash blonde? Or another shade that doesn't require bleaching, just to give your hair a rest.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I miss the red hair, but then I think about how much it fades. These are good tips. I will keep this in mind if I ever decide to go back to red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very frustrated in the beginning but I do have to say that my colour is definitely worth any extra effort, I love it so. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for the tips... having just gone red this was very well timed for me!! :D Beautiful pic! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most excellent! I hope they're helpful in maintaining the gorgeous colour!

      Delete
  7. As someone who has been a bottle redhead for many years now (on and off since I was 16), I completely agree with all of your points. Another thing that I do - or rather, don't do - is to use many heat tools (blow dryers, curling irons, hot rollers, etc) on my hair. I can't prove this beyond my own personal experience, but I have found that excess use of heating tools can fade red (and vibrant hair colours in general) faster than if they weren't used.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your tip! I, too, have heard that very frequent use of heat tools can fade colour. However, I used to use hot sticks on a semi-daily basis and I didn't really notice much of a difference so I think it depends on the case.

      Delete
  8. Just found your blog and I love it! This is a great post! I have recently become a redhead after nearly 9 years as a platinum blonde, so these tips are really useful, thanks! Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment - and welcome to the wonderful world of fake redheadness! I do hope you find my tips useful. :)

      Delete
  9. I went red last year mostly as a means to quit black (I was sick of having to do my roots every three weeks, among other reasons, more on that below) and investigate my natural hair colour. It turned out to be a nice, but dull warm light brown, so I'm staying somewhat reddish for the time being - not a very vibrant red, more of a coppery brown, but the few tips I've gleaned out of this are these:
    -Invest in salon quality colour if you do it at home.
    -Since red fades no matter what you do, you might as well go for a milder semi or demi permanent colour, spare your hair the peroxide and let it sit longer when you colour it instead.
    -Pay attention to the undertone of the colour, as that has a huge impact on how it fades, as fade it will.
    I use a semi-permanent, one-component colour (Wella Color Fresh 6/34) with a strong gold undertone. Yellow colourants stick to hair better and stays longer than the red does, so on my unbleached, light brown hair it fades to a really nice bronze colour. I like that shade as much as I like the freshly dyed red, which means that I can go a couple of months without touching up.
    The same line has another red, 7/43, a much truer red without the gold undercurrent, and while the fresh result is similar, it doesn't fade nearly as nicely on me as 6/34. Worth paying attention to, especially if you're lazy like me.

    I really like your blog, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for sharing your most excellent observations with us!

      Delete

ShareThis