Monday, December 3, 2012

The Liebster Blog Award



Both Jannie of Vintage Window and Debora of The Black Pinafore recently awarded me with the nifty Liebster Blog Award.

Before answering a total of 21 questions and passing on the honour, here are the rules of the award in a nutshell:

1. Link and follow the blogger who awarded you
2. Blog about the award
3. Give the award to 5 other bloggers - preferably bloggers with less than 200 followers
4. Answer the 11 questions I asked you and create 11 questions to your 5 awarded bloggers

Here are the questions asked by Debora:


1.  What is your favorite painter?
Edward Hopper, Mark Rothko and Frida Kahlo are, perhaps, my favourite painters above all. I also love Watteau, Moreau, Whistler, Munch et all as well as Rococo and American Modernist art in general. I did my undergraduate degree in both art history and film studies, and I'm interested in the history of art as a whole; the progression of art throughout history.

2.  You go to the theatre?
Not as often as I'd like to, I'm afraid, but I do have great appreciation for the theatre. My grandfather was a stage actor and my grandmother a prompter.

3.  The book you are reading?
I'm re-reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy in preparation for The Hobbit film adaptation and I'm still on The Fellowship of the Ring. And I always have a big pile of books related to film history and theory that I'm reading.

4.  Disc vinyl or compact disc?
I wish I could say vinyl but my music collection is definitely dominated by CD.

5.  Sweet or salty?
Definitely salty!

6.  The look work IS other than every day?
I've never had a strict dress code for work so my work and everyday looks are not entirely separate. However, I rarely go to interviews dressed head-to-toe in vintage so when I start a new job, I gradually add elements from my wardrobe into my work attire before unleashing the whole package. ;)

7.  The last film in cinema?
It's been a while since I went to cinema. I think the last film I saw on the big screen was perhaps Xavier Dolan's Laurence Anyways during the Helsinki International Film Festival. It was visually arresting and touching at times but was less coherent and personal to me than his earlier films. I love Heartbeats.

8.  You crafts?
I'm sad to say that I'm probably one of the least crafty gals you could meet.

9.  You buy vintage in store or online?
I mainly shop for clothing online; I just find it so much more convenient. But I do tend to buy my shoes and hats in stores and vintage fairs.

10. Where has been the last holiday?
I went to see my friends in London in November.

11. How many hours a day of internet?
Both my work and hobbies tend to revolve around my laptop so the answer is way, way too many hours. ;)


And here are another 11 questions from Jannie:


1. Have you ever had regrets about wearing vintage & said to yourself: "Enough is enough...!?"
Honestly... No, never.

2. What is the dearest vintage item in your possession?
Perhaps a 1940s jade elephant necklace that I bought from Ebay a couple of years back. Also, pieces of antique furniture and cutlery that I inherited from my grandparents, if that counts as vintage.

3. What do you do put under your shoes when they need new soles?
I go to a cobbler and have the soles changed. I've actually written a post about it a couple of years back, which you can find right here.

4. Are you the only one in your family, who wear or live vintage?
Yes. Neither my partner nor the members of my family dress in vintage so I'm the only one. My partner has always been nothing but supportive of my love for vintage fashion - she even encourages me to buy and wear the most flamboyant of 40s hats. I think it took a while for my family to get used to it but they seem to more or less embrace it by now.

5. For how long did you wear or live vintage before starting to blog?
I began my blog in December 2009. Although I've been interested in vintage for over a decade, 2009 also marks the year I began dressing in vintage in my everyday life, on a day-to-day basis. This basically came from discovering Etsy and all of the vintage goodies it has to offer.

6. Many vintage lovers also seem to be cat lovers – are you fond of cats & if you are why?
I'm probably the odd one out in that I'm more of a dog person. I'm allergic to cats so I've never really had a cat friend.

7. What season is the best & what is the worst for wearing vintage?
I definitely prefer dressing during spring, summer and early autumn seasons, all of which are way too short in Finland. To me the perfect weather for dressing up is when I can wear dresses, heels, stockings and perhaps a cardigan, if I so choose. The worst seasons are late fall and winter, when it either rains or snows 24/7. There's just no way of wearing pretty shoes outside in that sort of weather, is there?

8. Do you make your own vintage style clothing & if you do, please show us some examples!
I made a dress from a 1952 pattern and a skirt from a 1930s pattern back in 2010. I'm afraid that's the extend of my sewing skills as even to repair an open seam is a bit of a mission for me. I would like to learn to properly sew, though. One day!

9. Have you ever persuaded anybody to start wearing vintage – if your have, what was your best argument?
Hm, no, I don't think so. Honestly, I have no desire to persuade anyone to wear vintage - it works for me, but it may not work for you and that's totally cool with me.

10. Does wearing or living vintage also affect the way you speak?
Interesting question but no, I don't think it does. Quite the opposite - I'm a loudmouth who swears like a sailor.

11. Could you tell us either a joke or a riddle about the vintage lifestyle?
The image of a vintage gal wearing heels in snow is enough of a joke in itself, no?

Tada! You deserve a cookie if you actually managed to read all of that.


Here are the 5 blogs that I award with the Liebster Blog Award:

Miia of Kissatalon nuori emäntä
Michelle of Ravishing Retro
Jesse and Tim of Like Johnny & June
Ruby of Ruby Armoire
Demi of Dots Divine

And here are my questions for the aforementioned bloggers:

1. First of all, why vintage?
2. Which era of vintage fashion do you prefer and why?
3. Is vintage just a way of dressing for you or is it a larger part of your lifestyle? Do you only wear the clothes or also the attitude of your preferred decade?
4. How much of a vintage "purist" do you consider yourself to be?
5. Do your friends in real life dress in vintage?
6. Do you have a fashion icon? Who or what inspires you when it comes to style?
7. What is your favourite vintage shop in your city?
8. What is your favourite city?
9. Mention one thing that you'd like to accomplish in your life.
10. Have you ever had a blogger crush?
11. What decade of music is your favourite?

2 comments:

  1. Oodles of happy congrats on receiving this great blog award! I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of your answers, and loved learning that we share a "salty tooth" in common. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis