Saturday, January 5, 2013

Vintage haven: Old Touch, Stockholm


I have lived in three countries and visited many a city during my time as a full-time vintage gal. And I can honestly say that Old Touch in Stockholm, Sweden is, by far, my most favourite vintage shop to date!

I believe I first read about Old Touch through Miriam's Kafferep and I'd always hear great things about the shop from my Finnish vintage friends. I finally got to visit for the first time in August 2012 and it was like entering a true vintage haven! I visited again in late December and thought I'd write about it.

In the UK and in Finland, vintage shops tend to be either one of these two things: a) dominated by items from the 1960s onwards. Lots and lots of 80s and 90s pieces. An odd mid-century frock here and there, if you're lucky, b) mighty pricey. (Alas, understandable if you consider the history of these countries early to mid 20th century.)

Old Touch is neither of these things.

From items dating all the way back to 1890s to 1970s and plenty of the decades in the middle, I would say that Old Touch caters to every vintage lovers' needs! I'm not only talking about clothing, shoes and accessories; but also lingerie, textiles, jewellery, home ware plus random bits and bobs of curiosities. Both times that I've visited, I have literally stayed for hours and could have stayed for plenty more. There are just so many lovely things to discover!

1920s sequined evening gown that I didn't buy.
I did take the silver heels home, though.

Another huge perk is that the clothing and shoes come in a variety of sizes. As a plus size dame, I rarely bother looking at dress racks in vintage shops because I know that finding my size in my era of preference is so very rare. So most often I prefer to shop for dresses online. However, the first time I went to Old Touch, I happened to ask if they'd have 30s or 40s dresses in my size - and I was offered a handful of both daytime and evening frocks! I bought two dresses and fell in love with an evening gown that I couldn't afford at the time. In December, I asked for the same, bought a day dress and tried on several evening gowns, this time mainly dating back to the 20s.

Same applies for shoes. Most of us modern girls tend to wear a larger shoe than those 70 years ago. For example, a friend of mine who wears a European size 39 (8 1/2 to 9 in North America) found 1930s silver heels for a very decent price. I'm sure they'd go online for twice or thrice more, especially in that size.

Here are a few random snapshots via my iPhone:



Gold and silver heels galore - spot mine!

And a sneak peek at my purchases from December's trip. You will surely see these incorporated into outfits posts sooner rather than later. Same goes for my August purchases, which I'm still yet to properly photograph.

Green late 30s / early 40s day dress,
quite possibly never been worn - 125 SEK (around $20)
Black 1930s handbag - 100SEK (around $15)

1930s silver heels - 375 SEK (around $57)

As you can see, both day dresses and shoes are very affordable. Evening heels, such as my silver heels, are a bit more but still very decent priced, I'd say. Evening dresses in my size and era were around 1200 SEK+ ($180) so perhaps not for everyone's budget. But then again, evening wear rarely is.

If you're out and about in Scandinavia, Old Touch is most definitely worth a visit - or two! I'm already counting the days upon my next visit. A vintage haven, if there ever was one.

Old Touch
Upplandsgatan 43
113 28 Stockholm
Website

10 comments:

  1. Well, this certainly looks like a nice place & will pay a visit next time I go to Stockholm. Thank you for the tip :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll be able to go one day. I really & truly cannot recommend it highly enough!

      Delete
  2. A great adress! That kind of shop is so rare in Europe... I hate going to vintage shoppes to see stuff from the 80's... In France I know less then 5 shoppes like this one: stuff before the 70s and with affordable prices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a rare gem that I was so happy to discover! Next time I'm in France, I'll definitely check up on your tips for anything and everything similar, even if they're rare. Less than 5 is far better than nothing!

      Delete
  3. How immensely wonderful that you have a shop like this to visit! I was nodding my head in the most vigorous of agreement regarding the way so many "vintage" stores are these days (I put vintage in quotes because I'm of the opinion that something is not vintage if it's from the 80s or 90s!). The same is true of (very, very few!) vintage stores we have around my neck of the woods, too, and I'd honestly say, having lived in various spots across three provinces, Canada as a whole. I truly hope that I get a chance to visit that amazing vintage store if I'm ever in Stockholm, but for the time being will just live my trips there vicarious through you and your posts. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope you'll get a chance to visit one day! I love it so much that I'm minimising my online shopping and rather saving up for my next Old Touch spree! :P

      Delete
  4. Amazing you are able to find "reasonably" priced items in a vintage shop:) Those shoes are fabulous and I would have snapped them up too! It's so difficult to find true 20s and 30s as well as 40s shoes nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing, indeed! Earlier vintage shoes are rare, especially in larger sizes. I could not be happier about my silver beauties!

      Delete
  5. I would love to visit here, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing is the word! The shop is well worth a trip to Stockholm, if you ask me. ;)

      Delete

ShareThis