Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Finger wave tutorial à la 1920s & 30s


My friend and frequent guest star of this blog, Jirina, does some of the very best finger waves that I've ever seen. I asked her to do a guest post on this 1920s and 1930s stable 'do because I haven't really seen any truly great tutorials on finger waving online.

Instead of a simple blog post, we ended up filming a tutorial for your viewing pleasure!


Now, finger waves really aren't the easiest of vintage hairdos to master; it takes time and practise to truly perfect this look. I'm definitely still learning myself. But the results are so strikingly beautiful that it is most definitely worth any and all extra effort and time! Well done waves are like veritable works of art, in my humble opinion.

Some of the tutorials that I've come by online suggest finger waving on natural hair, some even recommend sleeping with wave clips on. We find this unnecessarily difficult and uncomfortable. Both Jirina and I have straight hair so we curl our hair the night before as it gives a great base for the waves. We used air rollers but you can do tight pin curls or use sponge rollers, whatever suits your fancy. Then brush the hair out in the morning, style and set the wave clips. Have breakfast, do your make-up and other morning tasks before removing the wave clips after a minimum time of about half an hour - the more time, the better. Then style, comb a little, spray - and voilà!

Well, watch the video and you'll see what I mean.

Note: in order to keep things as simple as possible, we didn't wave the whole head this time but only the front. You can, of course, wave the back of your hair as well with this same technique.





Tools of the trade:
  • Wave clips (waving clamps) - you can get some at Sally Beauty, for example
  • Lottabody or another setting lotion of choice
  • Hairspray
  • Hair brush and a rattail comb
  • and, perhaps, some bobby pins

12 comments:

  1. Like I said on Facebook - a fabulous tutorial and such a fun video :)

    Katy
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katy! We really appreciate it. ♥

      Delete
  2. This is incredible! This video is such a joy to watch and so beautifully put together - and I think I will finally try the (long feared) finger wave for myself!!
    I hope you make more how-to videos like these! :)
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If you ladies do give it a go, we'd absolutely love to see the results!

      Also, we weren't initially planning on making more tutorials but if there are any requests, we'll certainly take them into consideration. :)

      Delete
  3. What a gorgeous video!! This tutorial has given me the confidence to finally try finger waves..hooray! You ladies are fabulous!

    xoxo,
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tina! I hope you do give finger waves a go - and be sure to post photos of the results!

      Delete
  4. You two are truly too stylish and gorgeous for words! I've always been in awe of your amazing waves and really appreciate that you shared some of the secrets behind how you pull them off so amazingly with us.

    Happiest Valentine's Day wishes to you both!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely message, dear gal! Glad to hear you enjoyed the tutorial.

      Delete
  5. This video is so good. You two are so beautiful stylish ladies. I love finger waves, but I m not so good in it. I will try again now when I saw your video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with the finger waves - we'd love to see the results if you do give the tutorial a go! :)

      Delete

ShareThis