Saturday, April 6, 2013

Tattoo designs from 1920s & 1930s

Over Easter, Jirina and I flew to over to Stockholm for an extended weekend of vintage shenanigans and basically had the bestest time. More about that a little later, alas. I just wanted to share these gorgeous tattoo designs that date back to the 1920s and 1930s and apparently originate from Denmark. They are the courtesy of Sj√∂historiska museet in Stockholm.

I first saw these designs pop up on my Instagram feed a few months back - and immediately fell in love! Most notably, with the finger waved babe holding the globe. Also, who could resist a badass raven haired dame with a booty, riding a chameleon? I sure can't. I have since decided that the lady with the globe will be my very first tattoo. Yay! So I knew that I couldn't miss this "Faith, Hope and Love" exhibition of vintage sailor tattoos at Sjöhistoriska whilst we were in town.

The exhibit is open until the end of 2014 so if you're in Stockholm within the next few years, it is definitely well worth a visit. All of the text is in Swedish, though, so you would probably get the most out of it with an English speaking guide. In fact, I'd love to see it again with a guided tour as apparently the exhibit features a gender aspect that we didn't fully grasp because of our less-than-perfect Swedish skills. The images alone, however, are so fascinating!








9 comments:

  1. These are spectacular! How very (very!) exciting that you've selected one for your first tattoo. I can't wait to see the finished ink.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colours of these are so delicious! I love the combination of the sage and marigold, looks fantastic. And the design you've chosen is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riikka this is amazing! It's great to see the originals! I have to admit I find it quite annoying when people pretentiously say that tattoos shouldn't be part of vintage aesthetic, but they've been around for so long! Resources like this are amazing! And how exciting you're getting one!
    Lots of love and #atomictimming from sydney!
    Ps tell jirina I'm aesthetically obsessed with the fintage calendar, is there a way I can purchase one online? Hope you're well, it looks like your trip was magic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you like these vintage tattoos as much as I do! Hm, I do have to say that I am not a massive fan of tattoos in general. I do think they can sort of "ruin" a vintage look, especially a 30s/40s Hollywood glamour look, even though I know they have been around for a long time. But to each their own, of course! Mine will be on my shoulder so it won't be visible unless if I specifically want it so.

      I will certainly pass on the message to Jirina! And I shall look into the calendar thing, I am not entirely sure on it myself, unfortunately.

      Lots of love and @atomic_tim faces! <3

      Delete
  4. A tattoo! Exciting! I can't wait to see it done. These designs are gorgeous. I would love a tattoo at some point - I have lots of ideas which is the problem as I only want a few and in certain places!
    -Andi x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tattoo, indeed! I'm so keen to have it done soon but have to wait for a bit. Would love to hear your tattoo ideas! x

      Delete
    2. Well a couple of them involve Barbie (vintage & my childhood era) and one idea may involve referencing Audrey Horne (cliched I know but...eh). :D

      Delete
    3. Not cliched at all! A Twin Peaks tattoo would be the best!

      Delete

ShareThis