Thursday, July 11, 2013

Annalan varjon alla: a queer vintage photo series

Why hello!

Long time, no see. It's been a while, I know. I have been a busy bee this spring and summer with research and writing taking up my spare time, so blogging has been on the backburner this year. But I am making a bit of a cameo to show a brand new queer vintage themed photo series that Jirina Alanko and I brainstormed.

I have previously touched upon my frustrations regarding heterosexism in the vintage scene and in the history of mainstream visual culture. It can be frustrating when you're queer and really into old films and photographs, and when the massive majority of the material focuses on depicting heterosexual coupling, romance and sexuality.

So like with our previous noir themed series, Jirina and I wanted to highlight queer visibility in the vintage scene. Drawing inspiration from Finnish films of the 1930s, our attempt is reimagine the heterosexist history of romantic imagery by depicting two women enamoured with each other.

A little bit about our outfits later - meanwhile, we hope you enjoy these!









13 comments:

  1. I love, love love this. Thanks for representing us queer vintage ladies in such a lovely shoot!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looooooooooove this! Your ladylove is such a beauty. As of course are you.
    Gorgeous colours x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! What a smashingly gorgeous couple you gals are! I'm right there with you - the vintage community can be incredibly heteronormative & sexist. It makes me want to tear my hair out at points. But then I see posts like this, and it reminds me that it's not always like that. There are those of us out there whose retrogression only applies to our wardrobes, not our minds. Looking forward to seeing more in the future!

    xo Sara

    P.S. Your lady's shoes!! Ahhh, I can't even handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is simply magnificent.
    Sincerely and with all the support from USA,

    Agent Q

    Random question: since you're from Finland and I'm interested in visiting Finland [again], do you recommend any place for tourists during winter? Your suggestion is much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Agent Q! To be honest, I am probably not the best person to answer your question because I am not a winter person at all. If it was up to me, I'd prefer to say indoors and avoid the outdoors during the long winter season. To me summer is definitely the best time to visit Finland... But if you don't mind lots and lots of snow, never-ending darkness and way below freezing weather, I would recommend going up to north of Finland to see the northern lights and truly beautiful, wild nature. Other than that, sledding, ice swimming, ice skating and excessive sauna-ing! :)

      Delete
  5. You two are such a powerful inspiration - not to mention two of the most beautiful women on the face of the earth. Stunning, amazing photos - you both make vintage romance look better than ever!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all of the lovely comments, you beautiful people!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful pictures ... you both are such a lovely couple. beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! This is awesome, as a fellow queer person it is so exciting to see stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are both gorgeous and the photography is top-notch! Thank you for sharing your work with us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this!
    Femme visibility FTW ;)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis